Friday, September 26, 2008

Hard seat to Xinjiang


View Larger Map

So next week is National Week, a fall country-wide holiday where China's rural-urban migration is reversed and students, migrants and sojourners make the trek home (travel costs being what they are, however, few among the migrant-worker population can afford the trip).

I'm foolishly taking a train from Shanghai to Urumqi (Wulumuqi in Mandarin), the capital of Xinjiang. This is the "wild west" of China, with the country's hottest and coldest spots, a whack of oil underground and the majority of China's Uyghur population.

That's about all I know. And I sure as hell can't speak Uyghur. But I do know this train is supposed to take about 42 hours, which is triple the amount of time I've spent in a vehicle of any kind. I'm taking a "hard seat," which costs about $60 each way. Should be interesting.

Here's hoping I nab a window seat.

1 comment:

ashhill said...

you are not taking a hard seat to xinjiang. you are insane anna. completely insane. well, hopefully you'll meet some interesting people...